Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Unplugged Child

Before I became a Stay At Home Mom, I was a kindergarten teacher.  All my life I have heard the words, "Go do something productive." Productive included so many things, but mostly arts and crafts for me.  As a teacher, I see many children that are completely plugged in to everything electronic and they just can't seem to grasp the idea of creative and interactive play.  With that said, we set a 30 minute time limit each school day for electronics (which include tv/movies/iPod/Nook/video games).  On the weekends and school breaks, there are no electronics past 10 AM.  That's a pretty good chunk of time seeing as our kids get up between 7 and 8 on these days.  Our school-aged children, 7 and 9, have adjusted to the 30 minute time limit (with occasional sighs and pleas), but often need a jumpstart as to what to do once they've been "unplugged".  I've come up with a printable list of activities that are available in our home that the children can do.  I printed off the list and hung it in each child's room on brightly colored paper.  This way, they can't ever say they have nothing to do! Ingenius, huh?  Use this idea with what's available in your home and help your kids BE kids! 


What can I do when my electronics time is up?

Bananagrams

Doodle book

Boogie Board Drawing Tablet

Legos and Lego Friends

Play restaurant

Play Ping Pong

Play Air Hockey

Read a book

Drive your remote controlled car

Listen to music

Make a craft

Play with Star Wars Figures

Write and make a book

Put a puzzle together

Play with Spy Gear

Draw a picture

Play a board game

Play Angry Birds Jenga

Play tic-tac-toe

No comments:

Post a Comment